Robert Adams » Ansel Adams » Werner Bischof » Brassaï » Balthasar Burkhard » René Burri » Imogen Cunningham » Elliott Erwitt » Hans Finsler » Robert Frank » Milton H. Greene » René Groebli » Candida Höfer » Thomas Hoepker » Dorothea Lange » René Mächler » Steve McCurry » Daidō Moriyama » Vik Muniz » Georgij Pinkhassov » Marc Riboud » Thomas Ruff » Albert Steiner » Bert Stern » Dennis Stock » Thomas Struth » Wolfgang Tillmans » Edward Weston » & others
Auction: 20 Jun – 25 Jun 2019
Thu 27 Jun 16:30
KOLLER AUKTIONEN AG
+41 44-445 63 63
Mo-Fr 9-12, 13:30-18
Koller’s summer auction of Photography will feature an early and rare daguerreotype by an anonymous photographer depicting a Corpus Christi outdoor procession (lot 1609). Another exciting historical photograph, a group portrait of the "De Lessert children" (lot 1610), is attributed to Jean-Gabriel Eynard (1775-1863) on the basis of comparable works in the Bibliothèque de Genève and the J. Paul Getty Museum.
The famous icon by Edward Sheriff Curtis "The Vanishing Race - Navajo" (lot 1622) is a noteworthy lot in the section on travel photography.
The Swiss views feature beautiful vedutas of the Grisons by Albert Steiner (lots 1625, 1632, 1634, 1636). Other Swiss photographers such as Hans Finsler (lot 1646), Robert Frank (lots 1679-1681, 1696 and 1699), René Groebli (lots 1654, 1669 and 1683), Balthasar Burkhard (lot 1653) and René Mächler (lots 1651 and 1668) are also represented.
In the field of nude photography, prints by Daido Moriyama (lot 1662), Edward Weston (lot 1663) and Imogen Cunningham (lot 1664) are noteworthy. American photography is strongly represented with works by Robert Adams (lot 1687), Leon Levinstein (lots 1692-1693), Dorothea Lange (lot 1691), and Elliott Erwitt (lot 1695). A highlight of the auction is Ansel Adams's "Aspens, New Mexico" (lot 1675). The large depth of field photograph profits from the photographer's mastery and, at the same time, conveys a mythical experience. A further highlight of the auction is a rare photograph of the Eiffel Tower surrounded by fireworks by Brassaï (lot 1686), which has so far only rarely been offered at auction.
But the absolute top lot of the auction is the Magnum Portfolio (lot 1700) with 15 original photographs by famous press photographers such as Steve McCurry, René Burri, Marc Riboud, Elliott Erwitt, Werner Bischof, Dennis Stock, and many others. This is a personal selection by the well-known and internationally known gallery owner Esther Woerdehoff, and has been published in a small edition of only 7 copies.
In the area of portrait photography, Thomas Hoepker's photographs of Muhammad Ali's left and right fist (lots 1710-1711) will be offered. Once again we will present some intimate photos of Marilyn Monroe, by Milton H. Greene (lot 1712) and Bert Stern (lots 1713-1716).
Contemporary photography is represented by major artists such as Thomas Ruff (lots 1737, 1740), Candida Höfer and Thomas Struth (lot 1739), Wolfgang Tillmans (lot 1725) and Vik Muniz (lot 1722), among others.
"Selection Esther Woerdehoff", 1947-2007. Portfolio with 15 original photographs.
Gelatin silver prints and chromogenic colour prints. Later prints, 2007. Sheet dimension 28 x 35.5 cm to 40 x 50 cm (various portrait and landscape formats).  title sheet. The prints each matted. Loose in blue original linen case with blind stamped cover title. (42 x 52 x 11 cm).
Number 6 of a total of only 7 exemplars. Published by the Galerie Esther Woerdehoff in Paris. The handmade case from the bookbindery Burkhardt AG in Mönchaltdorf.
CHF 50 000 / 70 000
- WERNER BISCHOF (1916-1954). Courtyard Meiji Temple, Tokyo, Japan, 1951. Gelatin silver print. Image dimension 33.5 x 28 cm. Verso stamped by the estate.
- ELLIOTT ERWITT (1928). Detroit Potwups, "USA, 1962". Gelatin silver print. Image dimension 20 x 30.5 cm. Fully signed, annotated and dated by the artist on the verso.
- CHRIS STEELE-PERKINS (1947). London Zoo, 1973. Gelatin silver print. Image dimension 26 x 36 cm. Fully signed by the artist on the verso.
- MARC RIBOUD (1923-2016). Washington, 1967. Gelatin silver print. Image dimension 24 x 36.3 cm. Fully signed lower right below the image. Photographer’s stamp with address "48, rue monsieur le prince, 75006 paris, tél. 46 34 23 59 - fax 40 51 05 19" as well as Magnum Portfolio stamp with handwritten numbering on the verso.
- DENNIS STOCK (1928-2010). James Dean, USA, NYC, 1955. Gelatin silver print. Image dimension 37.3 x 26,2 cm. Photographer’s stamp lower right.
- JALAI ABBAS (1944-2018). "Afgahnistan, 92". Gelatin silver print. Image dimension 24 x 36.3 cm. Blind stamped photographer’s stamp lower right. Signed by the artist "Abbas", annotated and dated, Magnum Portfolio stamp with handwritten numbering on the verso.
- PINKHASSOV GUERGUI (1952). The new metro, Japan, Tokyo, 1996. Chromogenic colour print. Image dimension 37 x 25 cm. Signed by the artist on the verso.
- CONSTANTINE MANOS (1934). New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 1982. Chromogenic colour print. Image dimension 26 x 39.3 cm. Lower right and verso fully signed by the artist, Magnum Portfolio stamp with handwritten numbering.
- RENÉ BURRI (1933-2014). "Rio de Janeiro, Brézil 1960". Gelatin silver print. Image dimension 36 x 24 cm. Signed annotated and dated by the artist on the verso.
- HIROJI KUBOTA (1939). Guangxi, Yangshuo, China, 1980. Chromogenic colour print on Fujicolor Professional Paper. Image dimension 11.5 x 36 cm. Fully signed by the artist lower right.
- STEVE MCCURRY (1950). Sharbat Gula, Afghan Girl, Pakistan, 1984. Chromogenic colour print. Image dimension 35.5 x 23.5 cm. Fully signed by the artist, studio stamp with handwritten print date and inventory number on the verso.
- FERDINANDO SCIANNA (1943). Nanà in Bed, Almeria, Spain, 2002. Gelatin silver print. Image dimension 24.5 x 35.5 cm. Fully signed by the artist on the verso.
- LARRY TOWELL (1953). "Gaza Israel, 1993". Gelatin silver print. Image dimension 25.5 x 31 cm. Fully signed, annotated and dated by the artist, Magnum Portfolio stamp with handwritten numbering on the verso.
- SUSAN MEISELAS (1948). "Mistress Catherine, the Versailles room, NY for Pandora's Box, 1995". Chromogenic colour print. Image dimension 25.5 x 38.5 cm. Fully signed, annotated, numbered 6/7 and dated by the artist on the verso.
- THOMAS DWORZAK (1972). "Russia, Chechnya, Grozny, 2/2002. Chechen Girl avoidet the rubble of the destroyed city center". Chromogenic colour print. Image dimension 24.5 x 37 cm. Fully signed by the artist, annotated, as well as Magnum Portfolio stamp with handwritten numbering on the verso.